Thursday, April 17, 2008

Aidan's birth story



In early September of 2005 we found out we were pregnant with Aidan after only one month of trying. The pregnancy went fairly well except for the fact that I had gestational diabetes. I was able to manage my sugar using a special diet. Other than that I remember being very hungry and tired in the early and later months. I had to be induced because of the GD so on Thursday May 18 we arrived at the hospital at 8pm. They inserted what they call a balloon in my cervix and the induction had begun. I was a little uncomfortable but I was able to sleep a bit and when I awoke at 6am on Friday morning I was already 4cm dilated. Dr. White seemed to think that was great and that I would deliver by lunch time. No such luck. It took until 7pm to fully dilate and then another long, hard 3 hours of pushing. The forceps were then used to help deliver Aidan at 10pm on Friday May 19. He was 8lbs.5oz. And so we had our son. Holding him and looking into his eyes for the first time is a feeling I will never forget.

No comments: