Wednesday, September 30, 2009

NY trip Sept.09

About a a month ago, on Labor Day weekend, we took a week long trip to visit relatives in NY. We were crazy and decided to drive the 10-12 hours.

This is the very beginning of the whole trip. This day we drove to Baltimore to visit one of Jon's friends. We figured it would be good to split up the trip. It was awful. It ended up taking almost 8 hours because of traffic.

The kids had lots of stuff to keep them busy while driving. Aidan and Peyton reading some books.

The next morning we woke up and drove to Norwich NY. This is during the annual golf tournament on Sunday. Aidan loved the golf carts and even got to drive it around with Daddy.
Peyton loved the golf carts too and had fun pretending to drive.
On Monday morning we left Norwich and drove to Rhinebeck NY to visit Grandpa and Irene. This is at their lake, where the kids had a blast swimming.
This is Peyton after she got out of the water. She insisted on wearing her hood and Aidan's hat.
In the meantime, Aidan went fishing with Grandpa and Daddy. He loved it and waned to go again, but we never got a chance.
Aidan and Grandpa watching Wally.
Aidan loves bugs, so one of his favorite things to do while we were there was to go find daddy long legs with Irene. They live around a lot of trees and water, so there is a ton of spiders and bugs around. Aidan was in heaven!
Of course there was no time for naps so he was pretty tired when bedtime came. He was asleep before 8 most nights, very rare for him.
This is the first time we tried to leave. We had the van backed, PJ's on, and tired kids that were going to sleep most of the trip. About a half an hour down the road we had a flat. We called AAA, they put on our spare, and we had to turn around and go back. We couldn' t take the chance of driving with a donut. The funny thing was that Aidan slept through the whole thing.We were able to put him right in bed when we got back. After we remade all the beds, of course. Peyton, on the other hand, was wide awake through the whole thing and would not go to bed until after 10.
The next day we took our time and left after lunch. Another 12 hours and then we were home. Driving was tough with the kids, but we are glad we did it. Looking forward to next year when Peyton is a little older and the drive should be a little easier.

No comments: